Find out more about the digital switch over and the warning of con-artists who may try and take you for a ride.
1. From 4 April 2012, the London TV region will start switching to digital television.
2. Digital UK are warning people to look out for cowboys attempting to charge exorbitant fees for unnecessary work.
3. There is no such thing as a “Digital Aerial” - if you get a good picture now, your existing aerial should be fine for digital. Use the test card on Ceefax page 284 for guidance on whether you need a new aerial.
4. If you do need a new aerial look for a Registered Digital Installers (RDI) at www.rdi-lb.tv or call the Digital UK advice line on 08456 50 50 50. RDIs are approved and security-checked with the relevant qualifications and insurance.
5. If you can't find a local RDI, look for an installer registered with the Confederation of Aerial Industries' Plus scheme or visit www.digitaluk.co.uk
6. If you suspect you have been ripped off, or that there is a rogue trader in your area, call Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06.
7. If you are over 75 or in receipt of benefits or allowances you may qualify for the Switchover Help Scheme - call 08456 50 50 50 for details.
8. Don't purchase goods or services or invite anyone in who calls at your home without an appointment. Any suspicious callers should be reported to the police or trading standards. The Switchover Help Scheme always writes to its customers to confirm appointments.
9. Do not pay upfront - get the price, payment arrangements and start/finish dates in writing before work starts.